Monday, June 22, 2009

people are strange


Friday night I'm hanging with a couple of friends at one of my fave bars when I bump into Jane, a young singer/songwriter who I've had a thing for that dates back a few years. She's sitting at the corner of the bar, with her glasses on, hair pulled back in a ponytail, wearing a wifebeater and sweatpants. And even in this decidedly drab attire she looks absolutely gorgeous. Jane has blossomed over the years from a cute girl to a beautiful young woman. The transformation has been stunning to watch.

Jane greets me warmly and tells me she's grateful that I showed up just then since a dude not of her liking has been making a rather feeble, yet annoying attempt to chat her up. Jane is trying not to be mean, but she's clearly not interested. You'd think her body language and demeanor would give this guy a clue. No dice.

After the clueless guy eventually figures it out and disappears, Jane and I continue to chat for a bit and the sweet, affectionate side of her personality that is so endearing to me shines throughout our brief time at the bar. She excuses herself due to having classes early the next morning and leaves me with a heartfelt hug and a mild case of longing and what ifs. Ah, Jane...

My buddies and I are engaged in conversation when a cute 30-something sitting across from us, and accompanied by two guys, flashes me a nice smile which I reciprocate. She then proceeds to introduce herself and her companions, one of which happens to be her boyfriend. OK...

They seem nice enough and we end up talking at length about music. We've hit it off and eventually the friend offers to buy me a drink, which I accept. I later excuse myself to go out for a smoke and Theresa asks if she can join me. OK...

After bumping into an old Brooklyn but now living upstate acquaintance of mine named Monica while outside, Theresa and I head back into the bar and I resume the conversation with my own friends. We soon after decide to leave and hit another neighborhood joint.
As I'm saying my goodbyes to Theresa and her friend--the boyfriend had temporarily disappeared--she starts caressing my face (!) and telling me how much she loves my facial hair. The friend, meanwhile, is not fazed one bit by this. Hmm...

"You must have a good woman who loves you," Theresa says, while her hands are still resting on my face.

"Actually, I don't. But I do alright. Do you have any friends you can introduce me to?"

"You should give me your card."

"She is good to know," chimes in the seemingly unsurprised friend.

And against my better judgement I grab a napkin from the bar which I give to Theresa
bearing my e-mail and phone number and walk out behind my friends.

Now, granted, Theresa was visibly tipsy but I know how uncomfortable I'd be with my significant other openly flirting with some guy. And one we've just met, at that. I'm also pretty sure my buddies would not take kindly to her doing so in front of them, especially if I wasn't around. Maybe Theresa and her beau have an open relationship. Maybe he's the super non-jealous type. Maybe none of this means more than some friendly interaction under the influence. Still...

No comments: